Program and Grants Assistant
Full Job Description
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Programs Department at MSF-USA consists of multiple units supporting the MSF social mission, including advocacy, representation, research, and grants. The Programs Department also supports domestic programs and other special projects related to MSF medical and operational priorities.
MSF-USA provides substantial financial support to MSF programs around the world through private grants. The Programs and Grants Assistant will support the Grants Unit in managing the process of allocating funds raised from US donors and providing all necessary information to the Board of Directors to ensure their oversight of the grants. The Programs and Grants Assistant will also work closely with the Development Department (fundraising), supporting donor cultivation with timely information on MSF programmatic activities.
A second major focus of this role will be administrative support to the Programs Department. The successful applicant will manage this project in collaboration with a committed core team made up of Programs, Grants, Fundraising, Finance and Executive colleagues both at MSF USA and other relevant parts of MSF.
In collaboration with the Grants Unit, enter and update grant, program, and donation earmark records in NetSuite grants database
- Monitor accuracy of earmarked donations data in Nonprofit Success Pack (NPSP) - Salesforce
- Track and triage inquiries from Development staff submitted through the SharePoint Grants Request Form, NPSP, email, and Microsoft Teams
- Liaise with Prospect Research team on donor due diligence
- Facilitate fulfillment of ad hoc information requests from Development staff, guiding them to existing grants documentation or soliciting information from grantees
- Attend office-wide presentations on MSF programs and initiatives; read program updates to augment knowledge of MSF programs
- Organize and file documentation related to grants
- Assist in the preparation of background documents for meetings of the Board of Directors' Program Committee
- Attend and take minutes for meetings of the Board of Directors' Program Committee. Assist with meeting minutes and meeting facilitation for other Programs Department meetings upon request
- Assist with research projects and written summaries of internal documents
- Provide support with department travel needs (including domestic and international flights, visas, hotel, and ground transportation) in adherence to travel guidelines
- Produce and edit the Programs Department newsletter
- Provide support for department expense reports, filing of invoices, and other finance-related tasks
- Provide other department administrative support such as booking phone lines, conference rooms, etc. for meetings and conference calls
A genuine commitment to MSF's humanitarian principles and a general understanding of international current events
- Proven time management and excellent administrative/organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to work independently and with limited supervision on multiple tasks
- Minimum two years related work experience
- Good command of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent analytic skills; demonstrated ability to work with numbers
- Experience with grants management and/or constituent relationship management (CRM) databases; experience with Oracle NetSuite and/or Salesforce a plus
- Demonstrated research skills
- Excellent attention to detail and proofreading skills
- Initiative and confidence to ask questions in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to prioritize ongoing vs. immediate needs appropriately
- Flexibility and ability to exercise good judgment and discretion
- Ability to work both with a team and independently to handle a large volume of work
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- English language fluency; French and/or Spanish language skills a plus
Expected to work in a hybrid work environment with the ability to come into either the NYC office or regional hub (Washington, DC or Bay Area, CA) a minimum of 2 times a week. Expected to work during East Coast office hours (9am - 5pm Eastern time).
We offer a generous comprehensive benefits package inclusive of Wellness initiatives to support a healthy work life balance
Please note that relocation assistance NOR visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
No phone calls or emails please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Your Safety Matters: Vaccination and booster against COVID-19 is a requirement at MSF - USA
Equal Employment Opportunity and Non-Discrimination:
MSF-USA is committed to building a diverse, unbiased, and inclusive workforce. MSF-USA is an equal opportunity employer; we recruit, hire, train, promote, develop, and provide other conditions of employment without regard to a person’s gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other differences consistent with applicable laws. This includes providing reasonable accommodation for disabilities, or religious beliefs and practices. Members of communities historically underrepresented in the Humanitarian Aid sector are encouraged to apply.
If you have a disability of some kind and are interested in applying for employment and need special accommodations to use our website to apply for a position, please contact Human Resources by emailing us: email@example.com
Reasonable accommodation requests are considered on a case-by-case basis
Pay Class & Contract Type
Regular FT Hourly Nonexempt
Starting salary $34.07 per hour (commensurate with experience)
Working Time (Hours Per Week)
*Please mention you saw this ad on JobsInNonprofit.*