Patient Care Coordinator - Imaging - Part-time
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world’s leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world’s deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
The Patient Care Coordinator I is a member of a dynamic team and acts as a professional liaison for patients and families, care providers, other Fred Hutch departments. The role uses critical thinking skills to facilitate and operationalize complex scheduling requests through heavy use of multiple computer systems. The role provides continuity of care by ensuring a smooth transition between care settings and by developing a trusted relationship with patients to identify and assist with each patient's individual needs that may arise related to the care they receive. This is a part time (0.5 FTE) position.
- Schedules all patient appointments related to treatment within Fred Hutch as well as outside consults and referrals and communicates schedule directly to patients. Coordinates scheduling with other departments to ensure efficient patient flow.
- Works closely with patients, families, visitors, providers, and staff to identify needs, answer questions, resolve problems, provide information, and follow up.
- Update patient and caregiver contact information in EHR when needed.
- Communicates with providers (physicians, therapists, etc.) technologists, and nurses regarding the patient's scheduling needs, treatment schedule, and additional requests. Notifies appropriate parties as needed.
- Manages and prioritizes scheduling requests.
- Recognizes emergency situations and initiates correct code procedures.
- Supports the overall function of the department, and may be required to take on additional duties such as cross coverage, special projects, etc.
- Assists with the training of new staff
- Update/block provider templates for just in time needs
- Triage calls from referring physicians, patients, family members, and others wishing to access care at Fred Hutch.
- Collects and enters patient demographic and insurance information and enters into registration databases.
- Assists with the financial clearance process as necessary
- Coordinates Commercial Cell Therapy Portal Access (IMTX)
- Distributes work to the Program Assistant and/or Patient Care Coordinator Assistant as appropriate
- Works closely with patients, families, visitors, providers and staff to identify needs, answer questions, resolve problems, provide information and follow up
- Communicates with providers, techs, and nurses regarding the patient’s scheduling needs. Notifies or escalates access challenges to appropriate parties as needed
- Manages and prioritizes scheduling requests
- Recognizes emergent or urgent requests and initiates appropriate pathways for clinical support.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Ability to work independently, organize, and prioritize concurrent responsibilities and demand
- Ability to communicate verbally in person, on the phone, and in writing in a clear and concise manner
- Proficient in the use of word processing (MS Word), email, and data entry in a Windows-based environment
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Ability to solve complex problems and meet patient needs
- Ability to work in a high pressure, deadline oriented, and complex health care environment
- Ability to review work to identify and eliminate errors and omissions
- Active listening skills.
- Ability to build relationships while maintaining appropriate boundaries.
- Coping skills.
- Ability to identify and triage issues appropriately.
- Attention to detail to ensure scheduling accuracy.
- Bachelor's degree (BA or BS)
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a patient care setting preferred
- Experience with Epic or other scheduling and registration software
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months). Paid time off is prorated for part-time positions.
Our Commitment to Diversity: We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.
*Please mention you saw this ad on JobsInNonprofit.*