College Success Specialist
Koreatown Youth & Community Center is a Non-profit Organization that has been serving the Koreatown and Greater LA area for more than 45 years. We believe that delivering effective programs requires support staff that has the same passion and commitment as those who provide direct services. We endeavor to be an employer of choice and are looking for candidates who will make an immediate and lasting contribution. KYCC is committed to meeting the needs of the multicultural Koreatown community. We have been serving our diverse community for more than 45 years, and if you're passionate about using your skills and experiences to support our mission, we'd like to meet you.
Our work environment includes:
- Growth opportunities
- On-the-job training
- Lively atmosphere
The FamilySource Center is a "one-stop-shop" for families that offers free children/ youth and adult education and training programs. The FamilySource Center program goals are to provide a continuum of services designed to assist low-income families in becoming self-sufficient financially, academically, and emotionally.
Summary: KYCC's FamilySource Center has two primary goals: (1) increased family income; and (2) improved academic outcomes for students, to complete High School/GED, and access post-secondary education. The Family Advocate Intake Specialist will screen, enroll, and assess eligible clients into the Family Source Center program. The Family Advocate Intake Specialist will also provide provide general case navigation services to ensure clients access multiple KYCC programs and services.
Under the direction of the FamilySource Center Coordinator, the College Success Specialist is a direct service position and is responsible for implementation of programs and services developed by the FamilySource Coordinator and College Success Lead. Performance is reviewed on a continuous basis with specific goals and objectives identified throughout the year. This is a part-time, non-exempt position, working 20 hours per week.
Duties / Responsibilities
Implementing the College Success Programs and Services:
- Support in the planning and delivery of college readiness workshops and activities related to financial aid, tuition, college applications, housing, college tours, and other relevant services.
- Assist in the recruitment of and programmatic follow through for a minimum of 100 students for College Success programs.
- Conduct off-site visits to partnering high schools to ensure partnership success with school staff and administrators.
- Complete FSC intakes for College Corner participants, with support from the FSC Lead Case Manager and Case Managers.
- Refer, connect and link families/customers to FSC programs and activities, including LAUSD PSA counselor, financial coaching, housing stability Services, other KYCC services, and community resources to assist with meeting goals of improving Family Income and Academic Achievement.
- Participate in the development of individual college plans with families under the Parent Promise component with LAUSD counselor.
- Enters follow-up services and progress notes in Bitfocus data entry system.
- Tracks outcomes and submits monthly outcome log to the College Success Lead, Lead Case Manager, and FSC Coordinator on a monthly basis to monitor progress towards expected outcome goals.
- Participates in community outreach activities to bring visibility to the program and services, as needed.
- Participates in Special Events year-round. Special events include but are not limited to Distribution Events.
Attend relevant meetings and trainings:
- Attend and support events to engage and establish rapport with families, partners and community stakeholders.
- Attend monthly staff meetings.
- Attend quarterly agency- wide meetings/ trainings.
- Attend professional development trainings, conferences, workshops and seminars in order to maintain and improve professional competence as assigned by the supervisor.
Other related duties as assigned by the FamilySource Center Coordinator and College Success Lead.
Qualifications (All applicants MUST meet the qualifications):
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology, child development or a related field with two (2) years demonstrated experience providing case management services to vulnerable populations.
- Demonstrable knowledge and skill in case management, including human relations, public speaking, outreach and marketing, and organization skills.
- Bilingual capacity (Spanish or Korean/ English).
- Have working knowledge of high school A-G requirements, SAT/ACT, FAFSA/The California, Dream Act, college applications, EOP and community college transfer requirements highly preferred.
- Ability to organize and prepare documentation in a timely manner.
- Possess initiative, flexibility, and ability to work under pressure without direct supervision.
- Availability on evenings and/ or Saturdays, when needed.
- Demonstrable working knowledge of the use and operation of personal computers, Microsoft Office (Excel), Google Suites, and database entry.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, written and communication skills.
- Strong commitment to working with a multicultural community.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and a willingness to participate fully in the team process.
- Proof of passing a TB test and fingerprinting clearance (Live Scan).
- Proof of full COVID-19 Vaccination.
- A valid Class C California Driver License, access to a personal automobile and proof of auto insurance.
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
- Physical requirements: seeing to observe and supervise children and to inspect documents; hearing to hear a child calling for help; ability to communicate with KYCC staff, clients and public; sitting and standing for extended periods of time; bending, kneeling and reaching to retrieve and replace files; and dexterity of hands and fingers to operate office equipment.
KYCC is an EOE & E-Verify Employer.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $22.00 - $23.50 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- 4 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Do you have working knowledge of high school A-G requirements, SAT/ACT, FAFSA/The California, Dream Act, college applications, EOP and community college transfer requirements?
- Bachelor's (Required)
- Spanish/ Korean (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
*Please mention you saw this ad on JobsInNonprofit.*