OSHA Certified Construction Skills Trainer
Summary/Objective: The Andromeda Community Initiative (ACI), is seeking an OSHA Certified Construction Skills Trainer to lead in-person construction training in our Long Island City based workforce program. ACI’s program is designed to recruit underrepresented populations with respect to careers in construction, engage them in hands-on and certification based construction job training, place them in employment, and provide ongoing support to enhance their job retention and career advancement. The initiative is funded by multiple public and foundation contracts.
ACI is a nonprofit entity providing professional development opportunities, free education/workforce programs, and hands on/certification training to prepare students for gainful employment in the construction and building restoration industry. ACI provides quality training and workforce development programming imparted by subject matter experts, bridging the gap between companies in need of qualified workers and individuals seeking quality, career ladder employment. Our clients are individuals emerging from homelessness and criminal justice reentry, persons seeking to escape welfare dependence, and other populations overcoming barriers.
Essential Functions: Reporting to ACI’s Program Director and Senior Trainer, the incumbent will implement all aspects of ACI’s training including: Conducting OSHA certification training (under his/her own licensing), leading Department of Building certification training (under technical supervision and license by the Andromeda Academy of Construction Trades a DOB approved provider), providing hands-on training in masonry and general construction as well as related disciplines, and insuring general construction workplace awareness and skills. He/she will also be responsible for maintaining a safe and appropriate environment, providing for attendance and certification records/submitting them to the appropriate entities, assisting with inventory and purchasing relative to construction equipment and supplies, interacting with consultants and vendors, and maintaining the training area in a clean and well-ordered manner.
Specific functions shall include:
· Partnering with program staff to continually revise and refine lesson plans for a best in class hands-on and certification based model;
· Conducting ACI’s construction training, providing safety awareness, tool training, hands-on and certification instruction, and skill building for individuals seeking entry level positions;
· During training cycles serving as ACI’s OSHA-30 instructor as well as the instructor for all NYC DOB certification programming, operated under supervision of The Andromeda Academy of Construction Trades (AACT) including Site Safety Training (SST) --Fall Prevention and Drug and Awareness; 16-Hour Suspended Scaffolding User, 4-Hour Supported Scaffolding User; and 2-Hour Silica Awareness;
· Maintaining program standards for classroom conduct, discipline, performance and attendance;
· Supporting general work-readiness and a simulated workplace environment;
· Support guest lecturers, and site visits from among the employer community; and
· Fill-in work/swap work in NYC to accommodate vacation scheduling.
· Maintaining records of student performance including attendance and customer satisfaction;
· Reporting attendance and participation as necessary to secure OSHA-30 certifications immediately upon completion of each OSHA cycle;
· Logging scores and evaluations into the ACI’s Electronic record keeping system
· Interacting with AACT staff, securing client level information and photos and providing coordination to help insure timely issuance of DOB certifications
· Maintaining OSHA and DOB audit readiness and supporting both AACT/ACI program standards; and
· Engaging in post program evaluation of training to practice continual quality improvement.
Facilities and supplies
· Tracking and ordering all supplies for the ACI training courses (includes occasional pickups);
· Ensuring that the training area remains clean and orderly at the highest standard;
· Flagging any hazards to the space; and
· Providing for a clean work area at the end of each day;
· Strong interpersonal skills/the ability to show interest in client career goals;
· Fluency in English (Spanish a plus);
· The ability to impart important topics in an engaging manner through demonstration, real world example, and the use of prepared curricula;
· Significant work experience in construction
· Ability to command a classroom
· Growth mindset
· Computer skills necessary for email, data tracking, and utilization of online training materials Microsoft office: excel, word and PowerPoint
Skills and Prerequisites:
· Minimum three years field experience in construction (a former laborer, craftsman, site safety professional or supervisor with expertise in a given area but the ability to train as a generalist);
· Demonstration of instructional training or credentials in instructional methods & learning processes or similar demonstrable skills;
· Ability to demonstrate real world problem resolution through possession of a degree, certificate, licensure or professional standing, or by extensive knowledge, training, and experience;
· Any trade license issued by the DOB must be in good standing and not be surrendered, suspended, or revoked by DOB.
· OSHA 510 and OSHA 500 [In rare cases the organization may elect to sponsor the certification of experienced graduates of its own program. In such an instance the individual would be a trainee and compensated at a lower rate until such time as full certification is secured].
· 4-hr Supported Scaffold User and Refresher (32-hr Supported Scaffold Installer & Remover strongly preferred)
· 16-hr Suspended Scaffold User (32-hr suspended Scaffold Supervisor strongly preferred)
· 8-hr Fall Prevention
· SST Supervisors Card (SST Workers card may be accepted in the case of workers with significant work experience)
· Course credit in Silica Awareness preferred
Work Environment/Start Date: The position will be available as of January 2023.
Salary and Benefits: $55,000-85,000, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), PTO
Submission Instructions: Email cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title OSHA Certified Construction Skills Trainer
Job Category Search Terms: construction; site safety; nonprofit; workforce development; job training; OSHA Trainer; New Rochelle; Westchester; New York
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $55,000.00 - $85,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- AD&D insurance
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Performance bonus
- Weekly pay
- 3 years
- Monday to Friday
- Are you an authorized OSHA trainer?
- Are you authorized to work in the United States?
- What is your salary expectation?
Ability to Commute:
- Long Island City, NY 11101 (Required)
Ability to Relocate:
- Long Island City, NY 11101: Relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: In person
*Please mention you saw this ad on JobsInNonprofit.*