Communications Specialist, People and Culture
NRDC is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our people helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act and many of the implementing regulations. Today, our team of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and the globe from our offices in Beijing; Bozeman, Montana; Chicago; New Delhi; New York; San Francisco; Santa Monica; and Washington, D.C.
Our Human Resources and DEI teams are dedicated to employee experience, talent attraction and retention, total rewards management and ensuring that NRDC is a safe, inclusive, and rewarding place to work. As we continue to shape the future of NRDC, these teams play a pivotal role in ensuring the future of the organization!
NRDC is doing work that creates impact around the world and for a better future, and we’re looking for an equally committed and skilled Communications Specialist for our HR & DEI teams to help us get there. Your work will directly impact people operations, in support of our Managing Directors of HR & DEI, and their teams. If you thrive in a care-oriented, diverse environment where people connect to create impact, you will enjoy the work we are doing at NRDC!
We take pride in the craft of building this amazing team and that's where you come in!
The Communications Specialist, People and Culture will report to the Director of HR Operations and will support the HR & DEI functions by becoming a collaborative partner with the team and our organizational partners. This position will work closely with the HR & DEI teams and liaise with NRDC colleagues throughout the organization.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide proactive written and digital content creation in support of HR & DEI strategic priority projects. Projects are both cyclical and project specific.
- Originate content: gather and analyze information to research, write and develop high-quality, high-impact and on-brand content across multiple formats. Ensure brand and editorial consistency across.
- Assist in the creation, curation, and deployment of content across internal channels to ensure consistent and integrated messaging and presence
- In collaboration with the Director, develop & execute a calendar for communications
- Proactively collaborate with internal clients to gather information, advise on best practices, and support initiatives and programs. Oversee and execute communication plans and campaigns.
- Proactively collaborate with the HR and DEI teams to ensure consistent and timely messaging, in addition to key internal stakeholders across departments
- Track and report on readership, engagement, and business results in partnership with the People Analytics team
- Develop, organize and communicate on both HR and DEI online portals. Ensure that materials are always accurate.
- Deliver presentations on project successes, outcomes and progress. Work with the leadership team to discuss and develop KPIs to measure success.
- Draft communications for CPO & other team leadership, as assigned
- Assist in project coordination and follow-up on action items, using software management tools
- Proofread documents for accuracy and completeness
- Other function-aligned duties as assigned.
Who you are:
- Excellent organizational, communication and proactive follow up skills – project management a plus
- Exceptional information-gathering, analysis, and writing-and-editing skills. Bachelor’s degree in journalism strongly preferred. High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong content-production and technology skills, including proficient use of Microsoft Office (especially Word and PowerPoint), intranet and content-management systems (including SharePoint), email distribution tools, internal social media, and survey software (SurveyMonkey preferred).
- Proven track record developing effective messages—including distilling complex topics—communication plans, and content for targeted audiences.
- Ability to gather and analyze data, and make data-driven recommendations for improving channels, content, and impact.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Able to interact with stakeholders at all levels. Able to build relationships and work well across functions and diverse teams.
- Strong problem-solving skills
- At least 5 years’ experience in an administrative capacity, with 3 years dedicated to communication and content creation or management
- General knowledge of HR principles, practices, and procedures, and a demonstrated ability to apply that knowledge is highly preferred
- Experience supporting or facilitating multiple projects and team member interactions a plus
- Must be highly detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to work independently, organize and coordinate multiple tasks, set priorities, follow organizational procedures, and performs quickly and accurately under deadlines and in an ever-evolving environment
- A proven ability to multitask and remain organized in a fast-paced environment
- Strong sense of compassion for others and high degree of integrity
- Collaborative spirit; diplomacy and enjoys being part of a team
- Commitment to NRDC’s values and mission.
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming diverse voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and is commensurate with skills and experience. Internal equity will be reviewed and considered to determine a final offer. For this position, the salary range is $100,000 to $114,000.
Our offices are open and we are operating in a hybrid model. We offer NRDCers flexibility, and we ask them to come into the office and spend meaningful time there in collaboration with their colleagues. We call this purposeful presence.
As a science-based organization, NRDC aims to do our part to help contain the COVID-19 public health crisis. For the sake of health, safety, and equity, we ask that people be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation or other exemption in accordance with state and local law. We consider a person to be vaccinated two weeks after receiving one full course of a CDC-approved vaccine. In accordance with state or local law, new hires will be asked to attest to vaccination, those wishing to do so may request medical or religious accommodations or other exemptions via NRDC Employee Relations. NRDC treats all vaccine-related data confidentially, in keeping with local, state, and federal laws.
To apply, visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your résumé and cover letter. Please mention where you saw this posting and upload any additional materials that showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of applications, we will contact only those candidates we would like to interview. Please no phone calls, emails, or in-person résumé drop-offs.
If you experience technical problems while applying or if you are a person with a disability and need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care at 1-800-889-4422.
For more about NRDC, visit www.nrdc.org.
*Please mention you saw this ad on JobsInNonprofit.*