Vice President of Operations/COO
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Memphis
- Location: Memphis, Tennessee
- Category: Executive-Administrative Vice President Nonprofit-Executive Philanthropy-Administrative-Non-profit
- Posting Date: 09/23/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Under the supervision of the President & CEO, the SVP/COO provides leadership and management skills necessary to ensure the organization has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and other systems in place to effectively manage and grow the organization. The SVP/COO serves as part of the small C-Suite team, Executive Management Team, and leads the Extended Program Leadership Team. This is a high-level executive position that is ultimately responsible for all staff.
The SVP/COO provides significant support to the Board of Directors, and leads as the staff liaison for the Program & Safety Committee and participates in other assigned committees and task forces. The position is both internal and external facing, maintaining existing relationships and building new ones with senior leaders in education, business, law enforcement, and other operationally related areas.
An ability to demonstrate skills necessary for success, culture fit within organizational values (Fun, Respect, Integrity, Community, Acceptance), passion for the work, and an innovative approach to problem solving are more important considerations for selection than historical, directly-related experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Greater; or, equivalent education/experience combination
- Documented experience leading a complex team - not necessarily in quantity of direct reports, but in complexity of different positions and the business operations of the previous/current employer
- Valid Driver’s license and insurance-capable driving record
- Knowledge of and passion for the mission and intended outcomes of Boys & Girls Clubs, and basic principles and practices of non-profit organizations
- Preference will be given to candidates who possess extensive knowledge of policies, procedures, and programs of Boys & Girls Clubs
- Possess the ability to remain poised, positive, and energetic in a busy work environment
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively using written and oral communication skills
- Ability to use current technology applications to maintain records and obtain data and information
- Preference for Bilingual/literate candidates (English - Spanish).
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and to develop solutions to problems with limited supervision
- Demonstrated understanding of Trauma-Informed Care Practices and Principles
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensures all Club members, families, and staff are provided with a safe environment, free from emotional or physical harm
- Provide counsel and reflection to the President & CEO, Chief Development Officer, Board Chair, Program & Safety Committee Chair, and other Board members as requested
- Ensures the Boys & Girls Clubs of Shelby County vision and mission are defined, understood, communicated, and adhered to throughout the organization
- Provide assistance to the CEO and Board on the development and implementation of the strategic plan and organizational goals
- Provide support to the Board-led Program & Safety Committee; other committees/taskforces as requested
- Ensure the strategic plan and organizational goals are understood and cascaded throughout the organization
- Ensures that all federal, state, local, and organizational policies, procedures, laws, and regulations are implemented in a consistent manner throughout the organization
- Motivates and leads the Senior Leadership and Extended Program Leadership teams to achieve strategic and operational goals
- Lead collaborative activities to develop and implement plans for organizational infrastructure of systems and processes to include but not limited to budget development, personnel matters, community relations, communication, marketing and branding
- Support successful interaction and cross functions of Human Resources, Finance, Community Relations, Marketing, and Operational leadership
- Provide leadership and direction to the development and implementation of organizational program and operational goals to facility achievement of prioritized Youth Development Outcomes
- Coaches and manages performance of assigned employees/functions in achieving goals, providing direction in program design, development, community relations and program operations
- Evaluates overall program effectiveness on the basis of participation and achievement of stated goals, recommending and ensuring modifications to improve program performance
- At the direction of the CEO, provide timely and accurate information and support to the Board of Directors
- Responsible for the measurement and effectiveness of operations and processes - internal and external - ensuring timely and accurate reports on the operating condition of the organization
- Works cooperatively with the CEO in the development and execution of the organization budget, monitoring and reporting variances in revenues and expenditures - recommending appropriate action so the organization operates within approved budget and available resources
- Manages operational and programmatic processes ensuring best practices are sustained and reviewed regularly for efficacy
- Develops/Maintains collaborative relationships and partnerships with other youth serving organizations, members, parents, families, and community organizations
- Facilitates organizational staff development opportunities, including staff training initiatives and leadership development programs
- Ensures the timely and effective execution of the performance management systems including a staff development and training program as part of overall succession planning
- Encourages and supports a culture that embraces a continuous program quality improvement cycle
- Other duties as assigned by the President & CEO
Please note: We are grateful for your interest in working for the Boys & Girls Club! However, due to the volume of applications and calls received, we may not be able to respond to every inquiry. Please no phone calls.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
Tasks involve the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of sitting for long periods of time, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees
in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive
inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees
assigned to this job.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Memphis is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please mention you saw this ad on JobsInNonprofit.com