Support Professional, Evening/Weekend Testing Proctor
- Grand Rapids Community College
- Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Category: Admin-Other Administrative Positions
- Posting Date: 01/14/2022
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Support Professional, Evening/Weekend Testing Proctor
Department: Academic Testing Center
Job ID: 1276
Work Hours/Schedule: 40 Hours/ 52 Weeks, *Monday – Thursday 10:00AM – 7:30PM, Saturday 8:00AM – 12:00PM
Compensation: Support Professional, Level C, Step 3, $17.60 per hour
Reports to: Associate Director of Academic Support & Tutoring Services / Testing
Posting Close Date: January 28, 2022
Grand Rapids Community College provides an excellent benefits experience for our GRCC family. Our benefit package is designed to enhance employees' health and well-being. Part-time employees have different benefits outlined in the specific collective bargaining agreements and handbooks. Below is an overview of these benefits, additional details are available on the Human Resources/Benefits website:
● Six health insurance plan options (includes a high deductible plan with a health savings account option).
● A unique dental & vision reimbursement program (includes coverage for adult orthodontia & lasik eye surgery).
● Employer sponsored retirement plans as well as voluntary retirement savings plans (403b or 457 plans)
● Tuition benefits at GRCC for you, your spouse and your dependents.
● Tuition reimbursement at other higher education institutions for you.
● Generous time off that includes sick, vacation and personal leave banks.
● Paid holidays and holiday shutdown period in late December!
The Evening/Weekend Testing Proctor will assist with supporting the overall operation of the Academic Testing Center,
the proctoring of exams and related testing services that are offered to students, staff, and the community at large
Essential Job Functions
- Assist with ensuring the smooth overall operations of the Academic Testing Center, securing the testing facility, and serving as a point of contact for students, staff, faculty, and the community at large.
- Provide proctoring and testing services for GRCC students, students from other colleges, and the community at large.
- Oversee the registration, proctoring, follow-up activities during evening and weekend sessions and when required, scoring of tests.
- Proctor a variety professional certification exams to include but not limited to Castle, CLEP, DAT, HESI, etc.
- Perform pre- and post-testing activities (prepare and set-up signs sign-in sheets, pencils, paper, entry books, computers, etc.)
- Check voicemail, email, and scheduling requests daily, taking action as needed.
- Responsible for collecting and depositing test related fees if the Lead Testing Proctor is not available.
- Serve as the evening and weekend contact person for concerns related to evening and weekend testing.
- Works closely with Lead Testing Proctor regarding test administrations and management activities.
- Assist in the maintenance of dept. web page and designing, distributing, and storing of testing-related communication and signage.
- Assist with training, mentoring, and supervision of student employees.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of training materials for student employees.
- Stay current with administered tests (technical specifications and procedures), testing related software, and other technologies utilized by the department (PeopleSoft, ImageNow, etc.)
- Assist with the use and maintenance of software related to scheduling testing appointments.
- Provide trouble-shooting assistance, when required, including fixing technical problems and/or contacting the appropriate technical hotline or GRCC Information Technologies.
- Manage and resolve routine problems and conflicts for test takers, staff, and student employees.
- Responsible for security and confidentially of tester information, test materials, and equipment.
- Manage the testing environment to ensure it adheres to NCTA testing guidelines.
- Assist in the collection of testing data and develop, prepare and provide testing reports, as requested.
- Assist in evaluating and measuring internal and external customer satisfaction and provide appropriate reports.
- Must be able to clearly articulate test-related information to both individuals and groups.
- In case of emergency, monitor test session beyond scheduled time and possibly at different locations.
- Whenever appropriate, notify the Lead Testing Proctor and/or supervisor of any irregularity or problem immediately.
- Participate in College related meetings or committees and attend conferences as requested.
- Work a flexible schedule that includes primarily evenings and Saturdays.
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers
- and performing the essential functions of this position.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
● Associate’s degree or comparable combination of relevant education and experience.
● National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred. Work Experience
● One (1) year experience in a higher education testing center preferred or a comparable experience.
● The following competencies are essential and will be evaluated for our candidates through the evidence-based
• Information Skills
• Getting Information
• Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates
• Interacting With Computers
• Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships
• Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
• Documenting/Recording Information
• Processing Information
• Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
• Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge
• Performing Administrative Activities
• Making Decisions and Solving Problems
• Communicating with Persons Outside Organization
• Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards
• Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings
• Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others
● General knowledge of the principles of testing, including security and highest level of confidentiality and
● Ability to efficiently conduct a test administration from beginning to end.
● Demonstrate initiative, organizational, problem-solving, decision-making, and complaint resolution skills. (Able
to manage conflicts and solve routine test-related problems.)
● Provide excellent customer service.
● Possess the ability to effectively work with both internal (students, faculty, staff) and external constituents
(outside organizations such as testing agencies and private and public industry partners).
● Proficient verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
● Good attendance record including the ability to be punctual
● Ability to manage time, work independently, and function well as a team member.
● Ability to work effectively with and relate to diverse community college student population
● Ability to understand and follow directions.
● Comfortable with learning new technology and software.
● Willingness to practice quality improvement techniques and have a desire to develop/upgrade personal and
● Working knowledge of scanning technology and computer software including Microsoft Office, Google Suite and
other technologies used at the College.
● Finalists must possess excellent proofreading skills and have aptitude for detailed work. A skills assessment may
● Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds.
● Ability to stay in the testing room for the duration of each assigned test, sitting and/or standing for extended
periods of time in a quiet environment.
● Ability to work under pressure, maintaining composure and exercising mature judgment during difficult
● Experience working with populations that may be under stress.
● High level of energy, enthusiasm and interest in working collaboratively to support students and staff.
● Grand Rapids Community College is required to comply with the OSHA emergency temporary standard (ETS).
Employees will either have to be vaccinated or comply with weekly testing requirements.
● Work a flexible schedule that includes primarily evenings and Saturdays and in multiple locations, both on and
● Ability to work in a high traffic environment.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs.
Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on January 28,
2022 at 11:59PM. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an
equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available