Specialist, Public Policy
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Location: New York, New York
- Category: Nonprofit-Public Policy Philanthropy-Administrative-Non-profit
- Posting Date: 08/12/2022
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Specialist, Public Policy
Full Job Description
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seek a dynamic and effective Public Policy Specialist. This job reports to the Associate Director, Public Policy in the Government Relations department of the Policy, Campaigns, & Advocacy Division to provide administrative, project management, and substantive support to secure policies that support access to sexual and reproductive health care and rights.
Provide administrative support to the Public Policy team by tracking relevant regulations, coordinating meetings and logistics (including agendas and technological support), and contributing to written products produced by the team.
- Tracks federal rule-making and other official administrative actions that impact Planned Parenthood’s policy goals with minimal oversight.
- Manages monthly affiliate rulemaking and comments workgroup and provides and updates related resources.
- Researches and contributes to drafts of factsheets, issue briefs, and other materials and updates resources, as needed by Public Policy Manager, Policy Analysts, and Policy team leadership.
- Advances progress on multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Coordinates agendas and notes for weekly team meetings and assists Policy and Government Relations leadership in department–wide endeavors, including team retreats and goal planning sessions and drives necessary follow-up coming out of those meetings.
- Responsible for setup and managing technology for affiliate-wide webinars and conference calls led by the Public Policy team.
- Collaborates with other PPFA departments and divisions.
- Works with members of the Public Policy team to develop systems, track advocacy efforts, and on written materials for a wide range of audiences.
- Independently assesses, chooses, and disseminates information through regulatory reports and news clips to Public Policy team and Government Relations more broadly.
- Interacts with affiliate staff through monthly rulemaking calls, webinars, and annual 340B certification support.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Knowledge of issues relevant to sexual and reproductive health care, coverage and rights.
- Willingness and ability to conduct proactive research to improve systems and processes.
- 2 years of work experience.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of federal or state government processes in developing policy preferred.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Proven ability to move multiple projects forward independently and collaboratively.
- Commitment to health care access and PPFA’s mission.
- Appreciation and sensitivity to diverse groups and cultural differences.
Location: Based in New York City or Washington, DC. This position is usually located in our New York City or DC office, but is remote while offices remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Travel: 10% or less domestic travel.
Starting salary: $65K
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If denoted as NYC, DC, or both, this position is usually located in our New York City or DC office, but is remote while offices remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.