Scholarship Program Assistant
- University of Michigan
- Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Category: Admin-Other Administrative Positions
- Posting Date: 09/28/2022
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
How to Apply
NOTE: A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume in a single document to be uploaded in the online application. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, as well as the skills and experiences that directly relate to this position.
Interested candidates must apply through the UM Jobs website (umjobs.org/). In addition to your resume, please submit a cover letter, not to exceed one page. In the body of your letter, please describe how the position fits with and advances your career goals. (Please submit your cover letter and resume together as a single electronic document, as the system will accommodate only one attachment.) Your resume and cover letter will serve as a writing sample for the initial screening process.
The Scholarship Program Assistant in LSA Scholarships Office will provide key customer service and administrative support for staff and visitors. We are seeking applications for a full-time Administration Assistant to handle a variety of tasks in support of office operations and services. The ideal candidate will have the positive attitude, good judgment, and motivation to quickly become immersed in key aspects of the scholarship office operations.
LSA Scholarships is the home of need-based financial support for undergraduate students enrolled in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts. Thanks to generous gifts from donors to the College of LSA, our office offers a variety of scholarship programs to help support student access to academic classes, internships, and study abroad opportunities. Through the direct awarding of over 800 donor funded gift accounts for 7 distinct scholarship programs, the LSA Scholarship’s mission is to reduce and remove the financial barriers to students who have demonstrated financial need. The team is dedicated to open doors for students to access the resources within the university of Michigan through scholarships that reduce borrowing and debt, open access to experiential and international and academic programming which had historically been financially impossible for students who demonstrate financial need.
LSA Scholarships team aspires to the philosophy of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access and that all students must be competing on an even playing field.
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, the University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off and paid holidays
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance, starting on day one of employment
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
In addition, LSA offers:
- Enhanced tuition support programs for LSA courses
- Strong commitment to work/life balance
The LSA Scholarships Administrative Partner Provides key administrative support in customer service, primarily at the LSA Scholarships Front Desk. The assistant will create a welcoming environment while providing professional, inclusive, and efficient services for all students and visitors to the suite.
The successful candidate will provide excellent customer service while being comfortable with constant change in a fast-paced student-centered environment. They will have strong organizational and problem-solving skills and the ability to multitask and prioritize efficiently, particularly during peak application review periods. In addition, this individual will be able to work both independently as a collaborative member of the LSA Scholarships team.
LSA Scholarships Front Desk (60%)
- Provide exceptional customer service to visitors as the first point of contact to LSA Scholarships Office.
- Respond to questions and convey information regarding all aspects of the LSA Scholarships programs, policies, and procedures.
- Triage phone calls and respond to inquiries in shared LSA Scholarships Front Desk email account
- Screen and schedule appointments LSA Scholarships Office staff or direct students and customers to appropriate staff appointment scheduling site.
- Schedule appointments for the Director, and staff as needed, respond to inquiries about scholarship process, policies and procedures from students, parents, faculty, and staff, and serve as the first point of contact for all visitors to the LSA Scholarships Office.
- Direct email for the general email office address to the appropriate staff member and triage emails for immediate response. Send mass email messages to students.
- Manage the LSA Scholarships calendar. Set up meetings on the calendar and ensure rooms are booked, appropriate staff are invited and confirmed. Set up remote connections for meetings with offsite participants.
- Take meeting notes and update meeting agendas as needed.
- Gather/reconcile and submit receipts and related documentation for purchases on p-card and short code purchases.
- General Office duties including filing, ordering supplies, organizing shared documents and files on Google Drive for the LSA Scholarships Director.
- Support the Director with transactional clerical duties related to hiring of new staff, communications related to interviewing, scheduling interviews, and communications with candidates.
Scholarships Office Administrative Support (40%)
- Projects will be assigned on an as needed basis, in line with the variable flow of traffic to the Front Desk during the year, the cadence of scholarship application open and close dates and application review calendars.
- This work includes - but is not limited to - data entry, document creation, records management, event preparation and purchasing, among other assigned tasks.
- The position provides administrative support to the greater LSA Scholarships team.
- Responsible for the office phone directing calls, answering general questions, taking messages, and making appointments.
- Data Entry for scholarship awarding processes. Entering award information into the Blackbaud Award Management (BAM) system.
- Responding to student inquiries and messaging and administrative transactional responsibilities associated with the scholarship application process.
- Create hard files for new scholarship gifts, add new gift accounts to spreadsheets, data entry related to creating new scholarship Item Types for awarding and data entering information into the BAM system.
- Complete tasks as assigned, including data entry, document creation, records management, event.
- Complete projects as assigned in support of the directors of LSA Student Academic Affairs.
- Serve on office wide committees and working groups as time and interest permit.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Report to the Director of the LSA Scholarships Office.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Customer service experience and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of staff, faculty, and students
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as an effective member of an office team
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to learn quickly and provide attention to detail in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations that require poise, tact,
- confidentiality, and diplomacy
- Demonstrated proficiency with both Microsoft suite and Google platforms, including email and calendaring systems
- Experience working in higher education
- Familiarity with academic settings and higher education policies and procedures
- Associates Degree or Bachelors Degree
As one of the world’s great liberal arts colleges, LSA pushes the boundaries of what is understood about the human experience and the natural world, and we foster the next generation of rigorous and empathetic thinkers, creators, and contributors to the state of Michigan, the nation, and the world.
To learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion in LSA, please visit lsa.umich.edu/lsa/dei.
To learn more about LSA’s Mission, Vision and Values, please visit lsa.umich.edu/strategicvision.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including boosters when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely. More information on this new policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.