- The Salvadori Center
- Location: New York, New York
- Category: Nonprofit-Administration
- Posting Date: 03/06/2023
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
HARRIS RAND LUSK
260 Madison Avenue 15th Floor New York, NY 10016
(212) 867-5577 harrisrand.com
The Salvadori Center
The Salvadori Center is a leading educational nonprofit with a mission to teach STEAM - science, technology, engineering, arts/architecture, and math to - K-12 students primarily in under-resourced communities. Since 1987, the Salvadori Center has provided students opportunities to see and understand how science, technology, engineering, arts/architecture, and math are all around them and relevant to their lives. Salvadori’s numerous in-school and after-school programs engage students through collaborative learning using a project-based, hands-on approach that is tied to the built environment - buildings, bridges, parks, communities – that students see every day. In addition to providing direct services to students, Salvadori has a diverse earned income stream that includes teacher professional development, community programs, publications, independent learning kits, and corporate engagement programs that build community relationships through educational programs.
The Salvadori Center has expanded its reach from the five boroughs of New York City to include eastern New Jersey and northeastern Pennsylvania. Last year, Salvadori provided programs to 10,586 students in 370 classrooms through 4,340 sessions, in 117 sites, for 112,598 student impact hours across. The variety of multi-day in-school, after-school, and summer programs provides students with the essential skills they need to succeed in school, college and in their careers: collaboration, critical thinking, creativity, and communication. Salvadori Center engages students’ imagination, expands self-esteem, improves academic performance, and broadens their vision of the world and their future in it.
After a highly successful tenure, the current Executive Director is stepping down. The Salvadori Center is seeking an experienced and accomplished Executive Director to lead the organization in its next phase of growth and development. Reporting to the Board of Directors, and with the support of the senior management team, the Executive Director will work to set organizational priorities, fundraising targets, and develop and articulate Salvadori’s vision going forward, translating its mission into programs and outcomes that positively impact the students it serves. The Executive Director will be savvy about all aspects of managing a nonprofit, including operations, program design and implementation, staff development, fundraising, and fiscal management ensuring that resources are used cost-effectively while remaining agile to evolving business needs.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to cultivate relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders including corporate, community and government leaders. This individual will have strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, a hands-on management style, be approachable and open to new ideas, and an active and engaged problem-solver. The successful candidate must be able to work independently as well as collaboratively in a supportive and direct manner with a minimum of ego.
- Leadership: Serve as the face and voice of the organization; set the mission, vision and direction of Salvadori making sure it is in-line with educational needs; direct the operations of the organization, including the management and efficiency of its day-to-day workings, as well as administrative policies and procedures.
- Management: Oversee all staffing-related matters including recruitment, hiring, and development; support staff morale; ensure clear communication; designate responsibilities as necessary; provide leadership for staff promoting a culture of collaboration, openness and inclusiveness that reflects the values and importance of DEI, and a management structure that is flexible and responsive to changing conditions.
- Board Relations: Cultivate relationships with the active and engaged Board; provide timely and regular communications; meet with individual Board Members targeting their interests and involvement; manage Board expectations; work towards diversification of the Board.
- Financial Management: Maintain strong financial oversight; in conjunction with Board help prepare and monitor the annual budget; review and oversee all budgets and financial decisions; review monthly and quarterly reports and make adjustments as needed; meet with Finance Committee; work closely with the Board of Directors to ensure compliance and sound fiscal practice.
- Programs and Pedagogical Practice: Oversee pedagogical practice; conduct site visits to schools; meet with principals and other school personnel; evaluate and initiate program design; oversee implementation; review reports from the Education Director and teaching staff; redesign as necessary with feedback from staff and clients; liaise with outside evaluator; follow relevant program and legislative development at all levels.
- Fundraising: Maintain existing and establish new public and private fundraising sources; build and maintain relationships with key funders including face-to-face meetings; help coordinate the annual benefit.
- Communications: Outreach to increase public awareness of and promote the Salvadori’s mission and programs; represent Salvadori on various bodies, committees and councils; disseminate Salvadori’s work via speaking engagements, conference attendance and presentations, in publications with articles and Letters to the Editor, and in other media-related items that promote the work of Salvadori.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field, preferred
- Senior management experience in a not-for-profit organization; experience in STEAM, teaching, school administration, developing and managing school-based, after-school or professional development programs, a plus
- Ability to provide visionary and credible leadership and advocacy for the Salvadori Center to ensure its continued excellence and the provision of quality programs
- Solid experience working with and supporting a Board of Directors, including board development
- Strong organizational skills and poise under pressure; flexible, able to focus, prioritize and implement, as well as address and solve problems/issues as they arise
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, fostering collegiality and a positive work culture that is respectful of different backgrounds, professional skills, and perspectives
- Proven track record in fundraising, comfortable in seeking and asking for individual and major gifts, able to identify new sources of funding
- Strong financial and operational acumen to grow and maintain a financially stable and sustainable organization including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Exceptional oral and written communications abilities, including persuasive presentation skills for diverse audiences
For more information about the Salvadori Center, please visit their website at www.salvadori.org
All positions at the Salvadori Center are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
The annual salary for this position is $175,000+ depending on experience.
Salvadori Center offers an excellent benefits package including no-cost health insurance, 5% no-match required contribution to a 403b plan, as well as generous holiday and vacation pay.
The Salvadori Center has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner & CEO
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Email your resume and cover letter to Gina Roose at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put “Salvadori ED” in the subject line of your emailed application.
Please mention you saw this ad on JobsInNonprofit.com